Le Fort de Saint-PèreBack
Le Fort de Saint-Père
Reception : Until December 31
The Fort of Saint-Père was built between 1777 and 1785 to protect Saint-Malo from English attacks by land and to complete the defense system imagined by the famous Vauban. Intended to house 600 soldiers and reserves of explosive powders, this bastioned fortification (in the shape of a star) has however known no battle and no siege.
Its history is nevertheless well linked to major events. Part of its enclosure was destroyed in 1944 by the Germans, in their flight, at the Liberation. Since 1989, the date of the purchase and the beginning of the restoration of the premises by the municipality, the fort has become a space of culture and leisure. Every year, it hosts festivals (La Route du Rock, No Logo BZH) and events (trail, flower market, parties and concerts). Part of its forest and its ramparts are home to the Corsaire Aventure tree climbing course.
The fort is open to the public during the events it hosts, but the outside walkway is accessible to walkers all year round.