Located at the Rance estuary, between the Barrage and the old town of St Malo, St Servan was an independant town between 1790 and 1967. From the 1st century BC, the Gallo-Roman site set up on the peninsula of Alet was a place of prosperity, until the 12th century, when the Episcopal seat was transferred to the current Intra
Muros Saint Malo.
During the 17th and 18th centuries, the economic prosperity of St Malo transformed St Servan to the point that Vauban* thought about making a new town out of it. However, St Servan only gained its current status in the 19th century.